From:
Doug Gerald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 1996 14:35:29 -0400
Hi All!

If you need a smile, keep on reading - otherwise skip this one!!

Last Friday after school, my daughters principal called us wanting to know
if one of our ferts was missing.  One of the students had found a ferret
wandering about the school grounds and brought him into the office as a
"lost and found".  Knowing that we are owned by 3 cuties, she immediately
thought it might be ours.  It wasn't ours, but being the well trained fert
folks we are, we offered to come & get him and try to find his family.

He turned out to be a beautiful adult sable male and very well taken care
of.  We knew his *pets* (human type) must be frantic with worry!  We called
Animal Control and reported him giving a description.  In the mean-time, it
was bath day at the Gerald household, so our 3 plus, Mr.  Lost Ferret got
'The Treatment'.  Our 3 of course sniffed the new guy out and then started
show him the 'ropes'.  Soon he was facinated going back & forth in the dryer
hose with our others & climbing all over and just enjoying playing with our
3 (and they with him).  Soon, they were all worn out and we put them in the
cage for a nap.

It was about this time that a lady called about her missing ferret.  Her &
her husband were at Animal Control, and got our number there.  She described
Mr.  Lost to a 'T', but you can't be too careful.  I gave her directions to
our house so she could come & see if he was in fact hers.  We figured we'd
keep him in the cage with the others and if she could pick him out from the
3 other ferrets, it would be proof positive that she was the right 'pet'.

All doubt went out the door when she walked in, took one look, grabbed him
up, squealing "Bart, baby, where have you been?!" He, being a ferret, tried
to be cool about the whole thing, but soon was bestowing kisses & hugs to
his 'pets'.

It turns out Bart was one lucky fert.  His journey from point A to point B,
was one of a couple of miles throught a highway and many busy streets.  We
can only guess (Bart won't tell us what happened) that he snuck out of their
car, a 'hitched' a ride with someone to the school.  (for what purpose -
higher learning?  Is this the work of the FLO?)

We enjoyed being 'foster' caregivers for an hour or two, and loved seeing
the joy on Bart & his 'pets' faces when they were reunited.  All in all, an
experience we would not pass up again!

Take care!

Doug, Sue & Penny (humans)

Tori (OK, I'm the oldest & what I say goes - check out this wild ride in the
tunnel!)
Shadow (Come on, come on, let's PLAY!!)
Lori (I am the princess, you shall not touch me unless I say - but I can
whip your b--- any day!)
Bart (Wow! What did you call this - a tunnel! Wonder if I can get my pets to
get me one!)