From:
Steve Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2001 01:31:02 -0400
>Hello everyone!  I am new to this mailing list, but have been reading
>periodically for the past 2 months.  My ferret, Jewel, may undergo surgery
>to have a mass (possibly an accumulated furball) removed from her stomach.
>
>I'm comfortable with the vet because of her extensive knowledge and
>sensitivity of ferrets, but I did want to check with anyone what they
>think of sleeping gas as a proper form of anesthesia for my baby.  I
>liked the idea since it sounds less risky, but am not sure.  I would
>appreciate any thoughts on this!  Thanks in advance for your help!
>
>Megan & Co.: Jewel, Bear & Chewie

Megan,
inhaled anesthesia (isoflurane or similar) is the safest way for ferrets,
the injectible forms are too unpredictable with ferrets and lead to a
longer recovery period.

You can look at Dr. WIlliams web site for some more info.
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/ l
ook at the site that says "What is new and important in ferret medicine"
Another good site is www.ferretcentral.org from there you can link to
many others.

Good luck,  it sounds like you have a good vet.

Patty