From:
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1998 14:50:38 -0800
>From:    Duck lite <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: a note on shelters...
>But very, very few people want a ferret over four, or one who has a
>health or behavior problem, or a pair.

We do not place these older ferrets often but rather these become "ours".
We try for one less disturbing loss of home.  Same with health problems.
Behavior problems stay or don't stay depending upon rehabilitation.  We
have never had problems placing pairs.   We have placed multiple pairs on
the same day at the better shows.  We have even placed a triple on the
same day with pairs.

>I think we can all agree on this.  If anyone has any suggestions on how
>to handle this situation, I am listening...

So maybe we don't completely agree.  We do not have trouble placing 2 or 3
year olds at all.  Even when someone is also looking at our kits.  You have
to point out the advantages AND disadvantages of both.  For first time
owners the older ferret is usually better.  We don't normally have 4 year
olds in the shelter.  We usually get younger or older.  Just a difference in
location perhaps.

>From:    Roger McMillian <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Storefront Shelters

We admire what the GCFA shelter does.  Nothing we have said was ever
intended to besmirch that fine shelter and the people involved.  But most
you involved actually knew that we hope.

>Bill, next time you're in town (Say, before you judge the 10th GCFA show
>in October) why not drop by the shelter and visit?

We'll try to set this up as we'd love to!  If we can make the time we
could even visit some others in the area.  Getting time off of work will
be much easier this year.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/