From:
Julie Dowdy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jan 2000 12:09:29 -0500
 Hey all,

A year ago at this time, we nearly lost Sturmie.  I got the flu pretty
bad and he caught it from me.  However, another illness that was masked
up until then almost killed him combined with the flu.

Within four days time, Sturmie lost almost 2 pounds (he's a big boy),
ceased eating, drinking and urinating and on the fourth day, was so weak he
couldn't move.  I was working overnights (that helped my flu, lemme tell
ya!) and took him in on the fourth day.

A few hours later, he was diagnosed with kidney failure.  The flu had beat
him up badly, but what we did not know until then was that his blood panel
showed he had Insulinoma.

He was at the vets for 9 days.  7 of them were spent on anti-biotics and
constant IV solutions to flush the poison out of his body.  He had his
surgery for Insulinoma, spent another 2 days resting and was brought home
to us.

Sturmie was only two years old.  He had never been sick before, and showed
no signs of Insulinoma that we were already watching for since Bailey had
been diagnosed a year before.  He recovered well and is big, beautiful and
sweet.

Keep an eye on your little bugs when they get a cold or the flu!  If they
don't rebound, take them to a vet, and if they still don't, don't be afraid
to question another illness the flu may be making worse.

 Julie