From:
"Charlene M Lowe (Charlene Lowe)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 1995 14:58:15 -0600
This is in response to Howard Davis' post of 10 Nov 1995 RE: CS Biological
Properties, however I believe it has useful information and citations that
ferret owners administering CS may find helpful.

1. I think we agree that colloidal silver is at least an antiseptic, a
germicide, or whathaveyou something akin to possibly Lysol, killing microbes
(bacterial, viral, etc) on contact within 6 minutes.  Larry C.  Ford, M.D.
of UCLA School of Medicine, Center For the Health Sciences, reported in a
letter dated November, 1988: "I tested them (silver solutions) using
standard antimicrobial tests for disinfectants.  The silver solutions were
anti-bacterial for concentrations of 10 organisms per ml of Streptococcus,
Pyogenes, Staphylococcus Aureus, Neisseria Gonorrhea, Gardnerella,
Vaginalis, Salmonella Typhi, and other enteric pathogens and fungicidal for
Candida Albicans, Candida Globata, and M.  Furfur..." Jim Powell reported
this fact in Science Digest article March 1978 pp 59-60 titled "Our
mightiest Germ Fighter".  Dr. Harry Margraf says "silver is the best all
around germ fighter we have".  Dr. Robert O. Becker, M.D.  "What we have
actually done was rediscover the fact that silver killed bacteria, which had
been known for centuries".  Also you found it listed in Groliers
encyclopedia as having bactericidal properties used as antiseptic,
germicide, astringent...  It might also be convincing due to the fact that
NASA's space shuttle program purifies the food and water of its astronauts
using silver, airlines use silver for purifying water, several hotels in
Mexico have begun to wash all of their fruits and vegetables as well as
treat the drinking water with colloidal silver to prohibit the tourist
problem of Montezumas Revenge, swimming pools are routinely disinfected with
colloidal silver, settlers put silver dollars in their food to prohibit
spoilage, etc, etc.  It is used medically as an antiseptic or disinfectant
in hospitals in surgery, most major burn centers use it on their patients to
prevent skin infections and research has shown that silver promotes rapid
healing with less scar tissue without stinging.  It has been used
successfully on acne, dermatitis, ringworm, warts, sunburns (and my cat's
plaque).  It is used to stop fungi growth on plant's leaves.

The reason silver is a powerful germicide is because it acts as a catalyst
that disables the particular enzyme that without which many disease causing
organisms either starve or suffocate, for many others their internal
protoplasts collapse if their body charge is opposite to the silver
particles, and still others are unable to reproduce themselves.

2) What about offering colloidal silver internally to humans or animals? The
literature I have read indicates that whether or not we go to the local
health food store and pick up a bottle of silver or not, we are injesting
silver everyday. Colloidal silver is not a substance completely foreign to
our body or other animals'. We get silver and all minerals in our body
through the foods we eat. Hence we get silver naturally from the minerals
present in organically grown plants (and if we eat animals that eat these
plants). If we eat plants grown on chemical fertilizers, as most plants are
grown today, without living organisms in the soil to provide nutrition to
the plant, we do not get the quality or the abundancy of vitamins and
minerals that are available in organically grown foods. Thus deficiencies
develop. Or if we can not assimilate silver for some reason, we develop a
silver deficiency. So, in essence, any silver we (or other animals) may
injest that comes in a bottle is a supplement to what we already injest
naturally in food. Dr. Gary Smith suggests that silver may be linked to the
proper functioning of the body's natural defense system and that people with
an inadequate intake may be more prone to illness. Medical tests indicate no
known adverse effects from the use of properly prepared colloidal silver and
there has never been a recorded case of drug interaction with any other
medication. Colloidal silver was approved by the FDA in 1920s as an
antibiotic. The National Poison Control Center lists no toxicity for
colloidal silver, they do however list toxicities to some of the active
ingredients of Lysol. Dr. Smith (a pioneer in cancer research) regarding the
spread of cancer also writes: "Success (in fighting the spread) depends on
the amount of silver in the person's body and problems result from the lack
of silver in the body... " Internal silver supplement has been documented to
help these conditions (# of documentations) -  anthrax bacilli (2)
Appendicitis post op (3) b coli (2) b coli communis (7) b dysenteria (2) b
tuberculosis (7) bacillary dysentery (4) bladder irritation (12) blepharitis
(13) cerebro spinal meningitis (9) colitis (4) diarrhea (4) enlarged
prostate (12) influenza (11) salmonella (22) poliovirus (sabin strain) (23)
legionella pneumophilia (17) and lots more... Dr. Richard L. Davis says
"we're just beginning to see to what extent silver can relieve suffering and
save lives". One can find more info in the following journal articles: "Some
specific cellular effects of electrically injected silver and gold ions"
Bioelectrochemistry and Bioenergetics, No. 3 49-57 (1976); "Electrically
generated silver ions: quantitative Effects on bacterial and mammalian
cells" Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, 357-358 (Feb 1976); Antifungal
properties of electrically generated metallic ions" Antimicrobial Agents and
Chemotherapy vol 10 (5) 856-860 Nov 1976; "Inhibatory effects of
electrically activated silver material on cutaneous wound bacteria" Plastic
and Reconstructive Surgery 455-459 March 1986; "Inhibatory and Cidal
Antimicrobial Actions of Electrically Generated Silver Ions" Journal of Oral
Maxillofac. Surgury, No. 45 779-784 (1987); "Effects of Microamperage,
Medium, and Bacterial Concentration of Iontophoretic Killing of Bacteria in
Fluid" Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy vol 33 (4)  442-447 (Apr 1989);
"Bone formation and Bacterial Inhibition with silver and other electrodes"
Reconstructive Surg. Traumat., vol. 19, 40-50 (1985); "Germanium and silver
resistance, accumulation and toxicity in microogranisms" Plasmid. Academic
Press v 27, 1992, 73-79; "Colloidal Silver: The antiobiotic Alternative"
(book) by Lloyd Michael Canty and Zane Baranowski; "Colloidal Silver, the
amazing alternative to antibiotics" (pamphlet) by the Association for
Advanced Colloid Research; and there are many many more citations old and
recent focusing on the success of silver as an antiobiotic taken internally.
This is *my* sound basis for administering (mixing with duck soup and force
feeding) CS internally to a ferret with a possible viral infection and/or
compromised hepatic function.

Beware though it is true that Colloidal silver that is too concentrated
(above 5ppm) may upset the delicate balance of the digestive tract by
destroying significant amounts of friendly bacteria. Unlike many vitamin and
mineral supplements where a higher concentration is sometimes more
beneficial, with colloidal silver an excess in quantity does not mean more
quality.  In fact the opposite is true.  This is also true of all prescribed
antibiotics like amoxi too though.  My mother ended up with a sterile bowel
after being over prescribed antibiotics and a sterile bowel is NO FUN.  I am
not a doctor, but the literature I have seen says the amount is not crucial,
rather the concentration.  Some lab tests have shown that "true" Colloidal
Silver in the range of 3-5ppm has little effect on friendly bacteria, while
being highly useful against infections.  Particle size is a crucial factor
also.  The preferred particle size for safety is .005-.015 microns in
diameter.  Too large particles may cause harm by lodging in the lining of
the digestive tract and causing scar tissue.  There are many more details on
the efficacy of different production methods and suspension techniques.
(Silver salts is different than colloidal silver).

3. What does marijuana and big brother have to do with silver and ferrets?
Well not much if you are writing your PhD Dissertation or publishing a
scientific treatise. But when you are conversing with friends, it may mean a
lot. One can use analogy to help others understand where they are coming
from. Whether or not Gary actually conveyed scientific information pursuant
to the colloidal silver topic may be questionable. But whether or not he
provided information about himself, and how he sees the world may be
obvious. Personally, I got a picture of where Gary's leeriness lied, if you
will, and in a friendly conversation I would say that is valuable
information...

4. I had never heard of CS until it was mentioned here by a shelter that has
used it successfully on preventing and treating ECE. This being interesting
to me I decided to do a bit of research on it at that time (thankfully I am
employed with a major research university library with an excellent
biomedical library and so have lots of databases at my fingertips). After I
felt I had adequately researched cs and after hearing so many testimonials
on the FML of such wonderful results, I tried it on my cat with good results
and then on Henry-ferret, ditto.

Respectfully, Charlene