From:
Margaret Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Sep 1997 01:38:26 +0000
Regina wrote:

>Here's an etymological question-- think that the verb filch (as in to steal
>small amounts) has anything to do with the noun fitch?

My handy dandy Oxford says origin unknown for filch, BUT, if you want to
theorize...

while fitch (there are 5 different fitches in the dictionary), including the
one that is Middle English for polecat hair (that word again, hehe).

But there is another fitch, this time a Scandanavian word, which means to
change the place of, shift, move in small spurts from place to place.
Hmmmm......I wonder......

Sorry, can't hit the library till next week with this one.  Have a take home
test in Evolution of Human Sexuality and need to read a 200+ page book on
sociology.  Hopefully I can get it done tomorrow, if I don't play with the
ferts much.

Mags, reluctant to get off the box