From:
Ferretwise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jul 2005 02:32:49 -0400
Hello Randy  & shelter ops!

This is a REAL DILEMMA and one I used to try to preach to the choir about
LOUYDLY-- but it didn't get a good reception.

AS we see form Randy's accopunting being a small in home rescue and not
registered either as a business, etc. it CAN have severe repercussions.
Heck for us IF we had not been a separate entity from the get go - when
we signed on with our current insurance company.... our home would not
be insured ( personal policy)

We do NOT have liability insurance for the shelter as the purchase price
is $2500.00 plus -- we need to feed & vet the ferrets!!!  However the
incorporation of the shelter would be a from of protection IF there was
to be a claim etc., (Then we could close, dissolve the assets and send
the cages as a settlement!

Liability insurance is a hard buy as Randy is finding out.  Ferrets are
perceived STILL as vicious animals with the bad press past & present
taking top billing.  ANY RISK to insurance profits will make a huge
impact.  The dog and humane shelter communities face the same with
specific breeds... We have a hospice home with no insurance because
she adopted a malamute cross from a shelter thus her home is now
un-insurable!

One last time I will urge small shelterers to strongly consider--
incorpoating within your state as a non profit entity.  It may indeed
save your home in future days!

Alicia D.
www.ferretwise.org