Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 2009 08:11:51 -0400
I thought this thread would perhaps stop with the first post, but since
it is continuing I would like to put in my two cents.

First regarding the placement of breeding shelter ferrets on Ferret
Giving Tree: Why stop this? This is a decision for the Giving Tree
creators to decide. Just choose a ferret from a non-breeding shelter
yourself. Let others make their own choice.

Second regarding shelters who breed. I originally also was confused by
this, but the more I gave it thought, the more it makes sense. Let's
accept that ferrets will be bred, people will continue to get them as
new pets, and some experienced owners will want kits from a hopefully
healthier stock. Responsible breeders are probably the biggest hope
to stop mill ferrets and to get healthier ferrets over time.

Now after accepting that private breeding will take place, and in
my opinion is a better option than milled breeding, here is why I
consider a shelter the most ideal ferret breeder:

- they will be breeding with the true interests of ferrets at heart
- they have a lot of medical experience with ferrets (all those rescued
  sick/neglected/older ferrets)
- they will make sure to socialize the pet to be ready for a hopeful
  forever first home
- they are more likely to screen homes rather than just name a price
- they will take the ferret back in if their is a problem later with
  the ferret or owners
- they already have a connection with the owner and the ferret (in the
  event it doesn't work out) and are more likely to have the ferret
  surrendered back rather than neglected, set free, or passed on to an
  "uneducated" new home

Also, if there is a profit in the sale of privtely bred kits, how
wonderful that this profit goes to help support older, rescued ferrets
at a shelter.

Please, keep an open mind. Think about it!! And don't force your views
on others and please don't try and keep shelter ferrets from rescues
that also breed off the tree. That is not in the spirit of the Giving
Tree.

Risa