From:
"NYCFerrets.Com" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 09:17:54 -0400
As expected, after months of putting our case on the back burner, Judge
Michael Stallman made the decision to dismiss the lawsuit against Mayor
Giuliani and the Department of Health and not allow it to go to trial.
It is important to realize that Judge Stallman's decision to dismiss
the case is not a decision against ferrets, but a decision to dismiss
primarily based on the fact that whether or not the DOH has made faulty
policy, the courts have limited, if any, legal power to do anything
about it.  The lawsuit was never our most promising method for overturning
the ban, but in the interest of exploring all possible avenues, the
possibility of overturning the ban through the courts (however slight) had
to be explored.  Nothing has changed with regard to legalizing ferrets
through the City's other more promising and more likely channels i.e. the
new Mayor, the new DOH, or the new City Council.  Every single politician,
without exception, who has taken the time to review the facts and current
information on ferrets has been overwhelmingly supportive of ferret
legalization.  Those who have opposed legalization have openly admitted
that they didn't have the time or the interest to review the information
made available to them.  We remain confident that once the remaining
politicians take the time to reveiw the facts on the domesticated pet
ferret, there will be an immediate lifting of the ban.

More information can be found on the NYCFerrets.Com website

NYCFerrets.Com
           http://www.NYCFerrets.Com