From:
J Gordon Bengtson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 2009 17:26:46 -0500
I use a 'J' feeder in the cage to keep kibble for the business. On
occasion one would figure out that crawling up inside was a great way
to get out. In the case of Nibble-ed she would get INSIDE a cage which
really threw me when I was looking for her only to find her laying in
a hammy watching me go frantic trying to find her. Only a ferret!

I usually let the kibble go way down in the feeder and watch it closely
so when it gets to the bottom and cleaned out I wash the feeder before
filling it. To keep unauthorized ingress or egress I have a 'screen'
made from spare cage material in the top of the feeder. This works
perfectly!

Today I was walking past the cage and heard this unusual scratching and
clawing. I looked into the cage and didn't see anything. But the noise
started again as soon as I went away so I went back to see what the
frangoo was going on in there. For some reason I looked down into the
'J' feeder and what did I see! Ha! Was Pester-Doodle's face behind the
security fence looking back at me! Ha! Her butt was stuffed where they
usually feed. There was ample kibble in the bottom yesterday that
usually could last at least a day if not two or three days but for
whatever reason they got very food deprived and ate the whole banana
clean! With this clean Pester thought the way was open to escape but
the cage fence I made blocked her. She was stuck in the 'J' feeder! Ha!

So I took it down and laid it on the floor where I took the screen
block out so she could crawl out. Amazing little creatures! So now the
'J' feeder has the block back in place, the thing is full of kibble and
back in place. Glad I found that when I did, was a huge surprise to me.
Just reinforces my contention that you can NEVER put a thing past a
ferret! If they want something, for sure they will get it. Nibble-ed
figured out how to get up on top of the fire place mantle to push
everything off thus destroying some precious things. Makes you mad as
one can get but at the same time one has to admire the ingenuity of a
ferret!

Gordon, Peekaboo and Pester-Doodle. (or is it Peek A. Boo and Pest R.
Doodle?)

Signature