From:
"Lisa G. Fleischmann" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 1996 18:49:08 -0700
Hi All!
I have finally caught up with the FML :) I can't remember whether I posted
about my newest addition yet, so I'm sorry if this is redundant.  I walked
into a pet store with the intention of just looking around, seeing what toys
I could pick up for my fuzzies.  You can probably guess what happened.
Ferret math!  She's a one year old albino female now named Snowflake.  The
first thing the woman at the pet store told me was this ferret NEVER bites.
Of course, the ferret promptly bit me.  I've had her home for a few weeks
now, and she's pierced my toes and fingers several times.  I think she
mostly bites in play and sometimes in fear.  Now she knows not to bite my
hands and feet, except when I'm wearing socks.  It still hasn't clicked for
her that my feet are under those socks, and she loves socks.

For my bite reducing behavior modification, I've used the pick up and cuddle
technique for fear biting.  Works wonders!  She used to try to bite my hand
every time I picked her up.  Now she gives kisses and looks for treats.  The
play biting has gotten better by telling her "no biting," then picking her
up.  With the bites that cause me significant pain or loss of blood, I pick
her up, hold her lower jaw, tell her "no biting," then cuddle with her.
Seems to have worked well.  I haven't had any loss of blood in a week.  Now
if she bites my feet, I can usually tell her "no biting" and she'll stop.

                      Lisa, Daisy, Squirt (now with my SO)
                                 and Snowflake