From:
Mark Zmyewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 1996 10:59:38 -0500
Hi all,

Went to the GDFA show in Georgia last weekend and had a blast!  Since I did
not take my three to the show, I was roped into...(um, I mean I volunteered
willingly), being the ring announcer.  I had a lot of fun and met a lot of
great ferret folk (as well as ferrets)!

Free range ferrets: I have taken two of my three outside but tend to keep
them inside for fear of them getting fleas, coming into contact with dog
poop in my yard, etc.  They do know that the outside world exsists but don't
really bother me about going outside.  If I have to go outside for any
reason, they just wait by the door until I come back in, or they get bored
waiting for me and go playing elsewhere.  They have free run of the house
while we are home, but are put in their room (not caged) while we're at work
or asleep.

Our possible coccidiosis: Dr. Williams pointed out that I left some
information out of my last post and I do apologize for that.  I guess I was
so concerned about conserving bandwidth that I neglected to include some of
the facts.  I'll try to explain the latest without going into too much
detail.

Dr. Williams asked if the fecal samples tested positive for coccidia.  Each
of my three ferrets has had three tests done and each has come up negative
for coccidia.  The first test was on a Thursday, the next was nine days
later on a Saturday, and the third test done the following Saturday.

Dr. Williams also asked if my ferrets had come in contact with other ferrets
in the last 7 days.  (I suppose this meant "were the ferrets exposed to
other ferrets 7 days before symptoms were noticed".) Well, actually, yes.  I
had taken them to play with 5 other ferrets.  My guys had never met these
ferrets before.  None of the 5 other ferrets are showing any of the symptoms
(I checked their litter boxes for green poop, as well as watched their
general behavior.) The owners say none of them have ever been sick.  Still,
I guess someone could be a carrier, maybe.  (?)

I took two of my three back to the vet Thursday and we did a CBC for both of
them.  One was fine...everything within normal range.  Boomer, my most sick,
showed evidence of parasites.  The vet is sending fecal samples (for all
three ferrets) to Auburn University for study.  We have put all three back
on Albon (0.5cc once a day) and Pepto (1cc, three times daily).  In just 1.5
days, their poop is looking much better, darn near "normal".  Each has lost
some weight (Boomer has lost about 0.5 lbs), so I'm watching that and making
sure everyone is eating.  Actually, I haven't seen their appetites change,
but I'm watching anyway.

When the fecal samples come back, I'll report on that.

-Mark Zmyewski
 Lockheed Martin Missiles & Space
 Huntsville, Alabama