From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 1996 11:15:51 -0400
I went out of town for the weekend, and yes, I'm still a few days behind, so
please excuse me if I'm repeating someone else.

Gina M. Fritz wrote:
>What if we took this "homemade" booklet one step further and gave
>copies to vets, SPCA, breeders and shelters.

For people who don't want to go to the effort of making their own booklet,
there's a special edition of the Ferret FAQ designed for exactly this
purpose.  It's called either the mini-FAQ or "Your Pet Ferret," and it's 14
pages (7 double-sided), with a table of contents and simple but reasonably
nice formatting.

It isn't available as regular email, but anyone who has access to a
Postscript laser printer and knows how to download a PS file to it can get
it from me by email or from the FTP site below; and I'll happily send a
paper copy to anybody who tells me their address.

Michele Romano asked:
>What would be best for the ferret especially when I'm not home until
>about 8:00pm?

The best compromise between freedom and security I've found is to take one
room and ferretproof it very well, then block off the door securely and
leave your ferrets there when you're not at home.

>Why are many of you stapling linoleum or heavy material to the bottom of
>your couches?

So the ferrets don't dig into the bottom and set up housekeeping in the
couch's innards.

>What is the best diet for a ferret?
>If you bath a ferret regularly, will the musky scent disappear?
>What is ECE?
>If I'm supposed to purchase a cage, how large should it be?
>What is the best method of litter training a ferret?
>When picking out a ferret, what are the warning signs of possible illness?
>Is it better to go to a breeder or a pet store to purchase a ferret?

All these are covered in the Ferret FAQ, which you can get from any of the
locations in my signature, or directly from me.  (Sorry to be so brusque,
but if I answered them all here, this message would be awfully long, and
then what would be the point of having a FAQ?  :)

- Pam Greene
Ferret Central <http://www.optics.rochester.edu:8080/users/pgreene/>
            or send INDEX FERRET in email to <[log in to unmask]>
            or FTP to ftp.optics.rochester.edu and look in /pub/pgreene/