Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 11:47:16 -0500
Ferret Friends: I am sending you a copy of what I sent to another gal,
who took the time to try and make me feel "better" about a veterinarian's
"lack" of credentials, to treat exotics.  She gave me some good
information that she had, but of course, for Kim - it is "never" enough.

I am very grateful for what she shared with me - and I send a big public
"thanks" to her!!  I decided to take "on" the AMA - VCA - and any other
"chain" vet clinics - and gosh, I think the entire vet community.....
**uh-oh*......I have been so incensed over what happened to Helena - and
when I saw a post the other day - coming from another fuzzy Mom - who's
fuzzy was "mis-diagnosed" and "bopped around" - it drove me right over
the edge.

I am GOING to find a way - to push the limit, I guess you could say -
with the AMA - regarding stricter licensure REQUIREMENTS (hopefully
successfully).  Key word there, "requirements".  And I invite everyone
and anyone who could help me out with their stories, their contacts, or
what ever - to do so.  Just please, if you don't agree with me, and what
I am doing - that is ok.  Just ignore me then, kk?

I apologize, in advance for the length of this post, and for anyone who
may be offended by it.  I was advised by a wise person, that there ARE
people who are trying to make a difference, but unfortunately they aren't
trying to do what I am - and that is to make it a requirement - not a
"voluntary" choice, to learn more about exotics.  Here is what I sent to
her.  You can kinda "glean"from what I have here - what the conversation
was about - but I cannot divulge private info, without permission.so it
is kinda, onesided lookin..

**Smiles and Dooks to all**

Kim and Her missing one, added one - army of abq idiots.

Where is this "group" located?  Are they pushing board certification as a
REQUIREMENT OF LICENSING, nationwide?  Are they working with the AMA to
make it so?  If not - then - pardon my frankness - then they are wasting
their time.  It simply is not good enough - to leave it voluntary.  One
small group of vets - does not a country make, so to speak.

Please forgive me if I sound brash, or insensitive to what this group is
doing.  I truly am not.  And I do believe that THEY believe that they
are doing great work, and who knows, maybe they are.  But if they aren't
pushing to change certification to a REQUIREMENT, before licensure - then
what they are doing is all for naught, as it will STILL be voluntary -
and up to that "vet" as to whether or not they WANT to treat exotics.

And therein lies the problem.  These "vets" see a ferret come in - and
they think, well maybe I can help........and that is a death sentence for
any ferret - and I should know.  Until someone "shakes the sugar tree" -
then thousands of ferrets, and other exotics, will perish at the hands of
someone with "no" experience.  If they are FORCED to learn about them -
even if they don't want to - don't you think that our ferrets will be
just a little better off at least?

Will it piss people off?  Probably.  But you know - I am well known for
my ability to do that - and I would rather piss people off - and will
continue to do it on a daily basis - as long as ONE FERRET gets to live
because of it.  I can handle dislike.  I CANNOT handle the continuous,
needless, senseless deaths of these wonderful animals.  Why is it - that
although ferrets have been domesticated for over 3,500 years - there is
still so much that we don't know about them?  3,000 years.  That would
be exactly 2,000 more years than the common cat and dog.  Yet we still
can't determine how much "medicine" to give a little fuzzy......or we're
"not sure" why the little guy has cancer.....or insuloma, or adrenal
disease, hell - we can't even CURE half the diseases they seem so prone
to getting - but don't you all agree, it is time to TRY?

Lord, help me to be grateful for what I have, and not greedy for what I
want.....