From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2008 16:58:16 -0400
Just some of the FHL VET replies on treating enlarged prostates in
ferrets:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL5607
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL2144
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL1994
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/YPG1178
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/YPG1118

A concern I had in the past which i have NOT had time to learn more
about is that I don't know what the current known or postulated
mechanism for saw palmetto is, but if it contains a phytoestrogen that
could backfire, so look into the mechanism. Okay, the write up in the
umm website sounds reassuring on that score though I only have time to
skim, so check on this. I'd still go with a proven med, personally, if
surgery is impossible for health reasons. (7 years of age is not by
itself a reason to not do surgery on a ferret if the vet is used to
ferret surgeries and good at them.)

May also be of interest:
http://www.exoticpetvet.com/breeds/birdsmashdiet1.htm
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18791539
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18700016
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18683812
http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/281/18/1699
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/354/6/632

Remember that some herbal meds can be as dangerous as some standard
meds, and that which plants poison members of Carnivora is NOT always
the same as what poisons humans so read up on risks in places like:
<http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc&JServSessionIdr001=tp800hza41.app23b>
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/index.htm
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/saw-palmetto-000272.htm

and see other resources in my sig lines