From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 2006 15:52:32 -0400
Just looking at just a FEW of the very many ways that Dr. Bruce Williams
has pointed out that ferrets differ from dogs and cats:

http://www.afip.org/ferrets/Clin_Path/ClinPath.html
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/PDF/Ferret_GI_path_reports.pdf
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/Mast/mastcell.html
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/PDF/insulinoma.pdf
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/aae.html    (not Cushings)

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG163
>Rimadyl... worked out in dogs, ferrets are not even close to dogs.

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG202
in relation to Barf

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG279

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG643    vitamin A
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG645    food transit
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG747    GI infection
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG1013   dehydration
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG1717

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG2021   Heinz Bodies
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG2177   splenic clots
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG2450

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG2624
>gentamcin sulfate in ferrets. Ferrrets are extremely susceptible to
>this product, and it can be oto-toxic or nephrotoxic.

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG2808
Notice tumor type differences

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG3071
Notice worm differences

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG4145  kennel cough
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG7585  liver and more
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG8542  liver
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG9120

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG9307

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG9579  prostate exam
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG9886
>Hyperthyroidism has yet to be documented in ferrets - cat and human
>replies to this method notwithstanding. And, if we did see it in
>ferrets, there is no guarantee that the clinical signs would be the
>same as in the dog or cat.

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG10012 gastric
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG10013
yet another tumor difference

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG11338
>The steroid resistance seen in ferret is based largely on their
>resistance to common side effects seen in other species with
>prolonged cortisone administration

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG11458
cat and dog bleeding disorders

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG11827
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG1177
another tumor difference (and there are many)

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG2291    liver
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG2688    glucose
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG5591
some virus differences