From:
"Bruce H. Williams DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 1995 11:49:11 -0400
To Coco Sindhu:

>Yesterday when I picked Ruby up to put her to bed, I noticed that her
>right "fang" was not hanging out of her mouth...it seems as if she has
>chipped about the last quarter off.  Should this be looked at?... Also
>compared to the thers, her teeth are quite yellow.  I've heard some of
>you talking about teeth cleaning, is this a neccesity?

        Many ferrets have broken teeth.  If a broken tooth becomes dark or
appears painful, it means that there is an infection which has kelled the pulp
and nerve, and the tooth needs to be removed.  Usually, the canines don't
require filing, however.
        As far as the yellowed teeth - it depends where the yellow area is.  If
you see a dark yellow line just below the gum, and the gum is reddened, they
you probably ought to have the teeth cleaned.  Teeth cleaning is a necessity
for ferrets, and more important for those eating the moist foods (crunchy foods
delay tartar buildup).
        I would keep a close eye on it, and if you think there is any problem
at all - check with your vet.

--
Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP              Department of Veterinary Pathology
[log in to unmask]               Armed Forces Institute of Pathology