From:
Derek & Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 00:15:09 -0400
>Date:    Fri, 26 Jun 1998 20:15:34 -0400
>From:    Lori Sies <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Cincinnati, OH    Ferret Show      September 5th

Got my show packet in the mail.  Found it interesting that it wasn't printed
really big that *any* ferret being sold or adopted at the show has to be
spayed or neutered and at least 14 weeks old.  It stated that altering had
to be done at least 10 days prior with the stitches out.  So that puts the
kits being altered at the oldest age of 12 weeks - IMHO too young.  I do not
alter my kits until they are at the very least 6 months.  I do understand
the thinking of the show - don't want the "public" buying whole animals &
not altering them.  As long as the show requires the breeders/shelters to
provide them (the show) with a copy of an alter contract & follow thru with
the contract with the adopter/purchaser.  This is what the GLFA does.  The
GLFA also requires a copy of any sale/adoption contract the breeder/shelter
may have.

So, all you breeders out there that are looking for whole kits to add to
your stock, don't want to fly out of town ferrets in to you, and don't want
to drive hours on end to see *one* breeder's line of ferrets - don't count
on this show to acquire new blood.

Last year, along with several others, I had both whole & altered ferrets at
this show.  This year, I would have been *really*, *really* *pissed* if I
got to the show, had all of my animals, and was kicked out or only a few of
my animals were allowed in because I missed the fact that the show changed
rules - seeing as they did it without highlighting or bolding the change in
the show packet.

Amy Flemming
Flemming Farms
http://www.geocities.com/heartland/ranch/9521