From:
Sue Kocher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 1996 08:42:44 EET
Michelle has been having trouble with collars and ID tags.  Some time ago, i
wrote in to warn that the woven nylon kitten collars I was using had become
dangerously tight, because when the ferret scratches it (and they scratch
everywhere, all the time), the fibers bunch up and make the collar shrink.
So don't use those!  The tiny leather collars I brought from Australia were
better, but the ferrets often managed to undo them.  However, someone else
wrote in with the useful advice of making your own collars with sewing
elastic--tailored to fit each ferret.  I though this was great, but before I
had the chance to buy some, I discoverec that one of my elastic hair ties
fit Rikki perfectly.  I attached a bell and ID with little rings, and he has
been wearing it for months now with no loss or discomfort.  When it does
wear out, I will either make my own from sewing elastic, or find another
hair tie of the same type.  They seem foolproof.  And they are cheap.

So there you go.  I really think the collars and IDs are important, even for
"strictly house" ferrets.  You never know when they are going to slip out
undetected...  And the bells help me keep track of him.

Also, thanks to a reminder from Modern Ferret magazine, I finally got around
to teaching Rikki to roll over.  My training took longer than the article
writer intimated, but then Rikki is older and so presumably learns a little
more slowly.  But after a few days, one or two "training sessions" per day
using small pieces of raisins as rewards (more than that and you give them
too many treats!), Rikki is now doing it!  It's hilarious.  I hope that he
too will generalize this behavior to tell me when he wants
something/anything.  He is pretty prompt about coming when called--another
important thing to teach ferrets.  I use a distinctive whistle which means
"I have a treat for you".  Now, for my next trick...

Chuckles,   Sue