From:
Claire Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 08:48:14 -0400
Kristeen Kohrs wrote:
>... I was thinking about covering the wood with vinyl but someone
>suggested polyurethane - like what they do to school gym floors.  Has
>anyone done this?  Is it a viable option?

Since you say this is your 'forever home', it may not really matter --
but to make a fully informed decision, you should know that it is
impossible to spot-fix polyurethane.  If there is an area that needs
refinishing, the whole floor needs to be refinished.  A traditional
oil varnish really is better if touch-up will be required; a bit of
turpentine to blend the edges and the refinished area is invisible.  I
used "Gym-seal" on my floors for just this reason and I'm very pleased.
(and it, not poly, is what the local schools use.) Downside: it takes
about a week to dry properly, and in the meantime fumes may be an issue.
On the other hand, some varnishes are distinctly non-toxic; the basic
ingredient is linseed oil, which is also known as flaxseed oil and is a
food supplement!  But most varnishes have metal driers added; these have
metals like cobalt that you really don't want to eat.  Poly has the
advantage of drying quickly, and forming a relatively impervious shell.
As I said though, when it gets scratched or flakes for some reason, the
whole floor will need to be refinished, and I wouldn't want the kids to
chew on a flake.

Vinyl is a good choice, too, for your purposes though the ferrets may dig
at it.  The squares are less likely to be dug at than the sheet vinyl.

Personally, I'd hat to cover a perfectly good wood floor.  I have an
oil-varnished floor with some vinyl floor mats in the most abused
corners.  If someone poops on the floor, there's no problem cleaning it
up, and if it escapes my notice in some out-of the way spot (as you know
will happen!) I can scrape it up and fix any minor scratches by wiping
the area with a bit of turpentine.  That's also useful by the patio door,
where the kids are convinced it's possible to dig through to the outside.

Good luck.