From:
"Sue M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 04:14:25 +0000
I was pleased today when I called the Humane Society in Grand Forks and
asked about their ferret policy.  The woman was very nice (put me on a
waiting list..gee, how could I refuse *l*).  She was concerned about the
ferrets going to a knowledgable person, one that wasn't going to breed
(apparantly they get a few non-fixed in).  I asked how long they stay, and
she said that they stay until they are adopted out.  They only get 15-20
ferrets a year, and so can afford to keep them until they find a home.  They
will euthinise "vicious" ones, but she said she'd worked there several years
and doesn't remember one being killed.  Chalk one up for the Humane Society
in Grand Forks!

On selling/adopting at shows.  I have mixed feelings.  Like many people, I
do not have a breeder near me, (nor any shows for that matter), so I do not
have the option of a local breeder!  Please remember that not all of us do!
And not all of us can travel across a state or two to get to one, especially
when we can't be sure that we actually want a kit from that litter...and
particularly if we see a breeder at a show we've traveled a long ways
to...not all of us will have the time and money to make another trip
somewhere else.  Shipping isn't always an option either....I live in a
northern area, with winters that can get rather bad.  There is only one
airline that comes into this town, and we're lucky to have that.  To have a
ferret shipped here, by any means that I've been able to check out, would
cost as much as, or more than, the ferret itself!  What I could see
happening, is since the breeders, particularly the non-local ones would need
a place to stay, assumeadly (sp?) one that was ferret-friendly, any ferrets
for sale could be back at the hotel (or whatever) and interested parties
could come and look after hours.  If breeders or shelters would also be
willing/happy to be open "after hours" so people....in particular the people
who aren't living in the area, or can't take any more extra time off for a
while...can come and talk with the people and meet the ferrets in a rather
less hectic place.  This can help to make sure the person is
ferret-educated, and cut down on the "impulse buy" since it would take a
little extra effort for the person to make the trip to the hotel, etc.  I
think accusing someone who uses shows as their means of selling their kits
as being more concerned with their wallet than their ferrets is cruel, out
of line, and seems to indicate a misunderstanding of probably the majority
of private breeders.  I plan to start breeding, possibly by the end of the
year, and no matter where I sell the kits, I will provide quality pets to
people who enjoy ferrets, while promoting education, understanding, and
adoption of ferrets who need homes.

Sue M.