Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 16:22:51 +1030
Dear Rachael

I was catching up on my FML's and I saw your post.

I have four ferrets 3 of which have respiratory problems. After many
tests and visits to the vet he decided it was environmental and
probably due to allergies. (Why one of my ferrets is not affected
remains a mystery, but she is very odd so maybe that's it)

We tried many different treatment including a range antibiotics and
even a medication that had to be administered using a nebuliser. We had
to build a little nebulising box to put the ferrets in (ferrets are
very uncooperative when asked to put on a mask) we called it the gas
chamber.

The nebuliser worked quite well, but what we have found works best is
Children's liquid Sudafed. The ferrets only get a very small (tiny in
fact) dose of the Sudafed elixir twice a day (speak with your vet about
this). Liquid Sudafed does not need a prescription to buy in Australia,
however some people use it to make drugs so our vet gave us a
prescription to make things easier. The Chemist thought this was
hilarious and even put the ferrets names on the pharmacy sticker.

Our ferrets are sooooo much better after their dose. My boy Rusty sits
at my feet each morning waiting for it, and happily licks it out of the
syringe. My other boy George however makes a huge fuss and needs to be
scuffed. My little girl Crystal doesn't make a fuss, but she does try
to wipe her face on my shirt afterwards.

The Sudafed being a nasal decongestant for cold, sinus and allergy
relief helps treat the symptoms but will not cure the cause.

I hope this helps.

Erin and the furry four

George: ?How did you know it was me that bit you on the foot if I was under
the blanket??
Rusty ? ?The velcro is MINE!?
Ali ? ?I?m blond and I?m beautiful, give me everything I want.?
Crystal ? ?Can I eat that??