From:
Lisa Oestereich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2005 09:20:47 -0400
This is just my two cents and NOT meant to be inflammatory at all.  As
I'm reading all these recent posts about the Ferret Store refusing to
stop selling food products that are bad for ferrets I can't help but
think........

Why don't we sue Safeway for selling the Twinkies and Ho Ho's that are
making our kids fat?  Or sue Food Lion for letting us buy and drink Coca
Cola by the 2 liter bottle (my personal favorite)?  Is it the grocery
store's responsibility to make sure your kids eat right.....or is it
yours?

Sure, there are people out there that don't bother doing the research
and will always feed their ferrets the cheapest food, worst treats and
probably give them rubber toys 'ta boot.  But for the most part, I think
this is more of an issue regarding education - for existing (sometimes
novice) ferret owners and addressing the deplorable lack of education
from retailers that sell ferrets.  How many of us were feeding raisins
by the boat load in the 80's?  I was.  And Cheerios too.

If you don't like a particular manufacturer - don't buy from them.  And
let them know that you won't and why.

If you don't like big breeders, don't buy from them.

The way to hit manufacturers is directly in the wallet.  If enough of us
do it, they'll certainly feel it.  And by sticking together in groups
like the FML, there is power in numbers.

I too, think the Ferret Store has very good attributes - like shelter
discounts, shelter donations, they don't sell live animals - and...I
really like their Ferret Store food in the red bag (the natural stuff).
It's a decent food and a good price.

Why beat the crap out of the messenger?  The Ferret Store won't buy what
doesn't sell.

Lisa