From:
Cherri Zaske <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 1997 13:25:51 +0100
Ok, I've tried everything to get my new 6 month old ferret bugsy to use the
litter box outside the cage.  He just won't do it.  Everytime I try to put
him in it he runs as fast as he can to get out of it spilling litter all
over.

He doesn't do the normal rule of going in a corner he just goes where ever
he happens to be at the time he needs to.  (including the middle of the
floor and my stool for the bean bag chair).

Skippy now won't use the litter box either I move the litter boxes to where
ever the new favorite place is to go but they won't go in it they'll just go
outside of it.  Bugsy doesn't even have a favorite place as explained above.
I'm tired of chasing after them to try to get them to the litter box(s)
before the accident but I'll put them in it and (a) they either won't go
then and wait until I can't see them or (b) go really quick before I get to
them.  I can't even sit down for two seconds anymore without having to get
up and clean up or chase one of them.

I've tried treats for when they go but bugsy doesn't understand the treat
thing yet.  He just thinks that when I move him it's time to play and runs.

The worst thing though is my boyfriend thinks that I'm not making an effort
to try and train them and says that the aren't allowed to run around the
house anymore until I do something.  That means that they can only play in
my room which isn't very big.

Skippy was actually very good until I got Bugsy now she's just as bad.

PLEASE HELP!! I don't know what to do...

Any suggestions whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

By the way they stay in their cage when I'm not here.  Skippy is trained to
the the litter box in there but Bugsy still refuses to use that corner he
wants the other corner and I've put a little box in that one but he usually
moves it out of the way and then goes in the corner.  I've tried putting
toys or other things that he would play with or sleep on in that corner but
that doesn't phase him either he'll just go anyway..  The other thing he does
is play in the litter box that he doesn't use even if there is waste in it.

I can't give up please help.
Cherri
Skippy (If he does it why can't I?)
Bugsy (I rule you remember!)