From:
dookdancer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 10:21:54 -0600
Hi all!  I just wanted to share something that my wee ones just adore...
and its all meat no grain LOL All it takes is a little effort on their
Tail-lessTwo-Footer's behalf!!

I have a dehydrater..  one of those silly looking things with stackable
trays, that I rarely used for myself and had sat on the basement shelf
for years.  One day the lightbulb went on when I was reading the labels
(again I stress READ LABELS!!!!  LOL) on the treats I was giving my crew.

All I do is take liver, chicken breast or fish (or sometimes all three
in three trays..., cut it into strips about 1/2 inch wide.. place the
strips on the trays, brush the meat with a mixture of olive oil and
Ferretone....and let it go for 2 days.  When the stuff is the consistency
of jerky... (cracks but does not break when it is bent..leathery) I cut
the strips into little bite size nibblies... and voila... instant all
meat/fish ferret treats that my wee ones (even Mr. Finicky Finnegan) just
adore!  You can freeze what you dont use.

aor those of you who dont have the miracle dehydrater LOL... I tried this
in the oven the other day to see if I could get the same results... and
with the liver treats placed on a cookie sheet, basted, I put them in the
oven at 160 degrees (leaving the oven door open slightly so that air can
get in and around the strips and dry them faster) for 6 1/2 hours.  The
results were very similar!  The slightly higher temperature (than that of
the dehydrater) ensures that E.Coli bacteria will be "killed" for those
of you, like me, that worry about things like that all the time LOL

The fuzzy butts in our house are particularly fond of the liver and fish
treats... perhaps because they DO get so much "chicken" flavour even in
the good kibble LOL

There ya have it!!

Hugs all!
DookDancer and The Ferret Collective
"Resistance is Futile"
Barnum and Bailey, Finnegan and Cliodhna