From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 1994 14:24:20 -0500
FERRET FAQ FOR NEW AND PROSPECTIVE OWNERS
Compiled and edited by Pamela Greene ([log in to unmask])
(version 1.1, 1/31/94)

This FAQ is being distributed to the FML in 21 pieces in order to encourage
your comments and suggestions.  I'd also be happy to send you the whole
file; it's roughly 75kB, but I can split it into smaller segments if your
mailer has problems with large messages.

*** PART 21 of 21 ***

6.3> How did I get fleas in my home? How can I get rid of them?

[begin PG]
Even if your ferrets are never outdoors, you can bring in fleas or
their eggs on your shoes or clothing.

There's a whole FAQ dedicated to ridding your pet and your home of
fleas and ticks.  It's distributed in the usenet newsgroup rec.pets.
In general, though, most products which are safe for use on kittens
are safe for ferrets.  Products containing pyrethins are okay, but
don't use anything containing organophosphates or carbamate.  Be
especially careful with dips and sprays; shampoos are much safer.

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

7. *** Where to get more information ***

7.1> How can I find a ferret breeder/contact/shelter in my area?

[begin PG]
An extensive list of ferret clubs, breeders, and organizations is
maintained by STAR*Ferrets and is available by email from a list
server.  Send email to
with the line
SEND FERRET DATABASE
in the body.  Note that the file is rather long, around 44K, which may
give some mailers problems.

7.2> How do I join the Ferret Mailing list?

[begin PG]
The Ferret Mailing List (FML) is strongly recommended.  To subscribe
to the FML, send a note to its moderator, Chris Lewis, at
and ask to be added.  You'll get a note back detailing policies and
such and explaining how to send letters to the list.

7.3> Is there any other information available on-line?

[begin PG]
Discussions of ferrets sometimes come up in the Usenet newsgroup
rec.pets.  The FAQ "Fleas, Ticks and Your Pet" is distributed there,
as well.  Several bulletin board systems keep pet FAQs and
discussions, as does the Compuserve Small Mammals forum.

7.4> What are some of the books available?

[begin PG]
Lots of books have been written about ferrets, ranging from brief
treatments to extensive discussions of behavior and medical issues.
Introductory books, all most owners will ever need, are usually
available in pet stores.  Two of the more popular are

Ferrets: a Complete Owner's Manual, by Chuck and Fox Morton.  Barron's
   Educational Series, Hauppauge, NY, 1985.  ISBN 0-8120-2976-3
     A relatively short, but well-written guide.  Not as in-depth as
     some, but a very good, friendly introduction to ferrets as pets.

Ferrets in Your Home, by Dr. Wendy Winsted.  T.F.H. Publications,
   Inc., Neptune City, NJ, 1990.  ISBN 0-86622-988-4
     Longer and more in-depth, but still very readable.  Includes, for
     instance, more information on reproduction and breeding, but also
     more expensive.

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

8. *** Revision history of this file ***

The most accurate description of the version of this FAQ is the date
at the top.  For really minor changes, I won't necessarily change the
version number, but I'll always change the date.

Version 1.1 - 1/28/94
  Revised the top disclaimer and sections 1.2, 1.3, 3.4, 3.6, 3.7,
     4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 5.3, 6.1, and  6.2
  Included comments and corrections from Dr. Williams and others

Version 1.0 - 12/15/93
  The first "release" version, though previous ones were distributed
  Completely reorganized the file
  Edited and added to several sections

Version 0.3 - 12/7/93
Version 0.2 - 11/29/93