From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 18:19:04 -0400
What do you do when you see one or more ferrets in an abusive or
extremely neglectful situation?

A. Hide the ferret(s) in your jacket or purse and get out as soon as
   possible.

B. Convince the owner to turn the ferret(s) over to you, clean them up,
   feed them, and then take them to the vet at your own expense.

C. Contact the authorities and return with a camera, animal control,
   humane or police officer, or veterinarian to witness and document the
   conditions.  Then work with the authorities to assure the animals are
   properly provided for.

The correct answer is C, much as we emotionally want to do A or B.  The
first two choices may be the fastest, surest way to get help for the
ferrets, but the entire burden of caring for them will fall squarely on
the rescuer and the ferret community.  As we know from recent history,
this can be pretty expensive.  Just as bad is that the chance of
successfully prosecuting those responsible is severely diminished.  If a
person is not punished for their mistakes, they tend to repeat
them--sadly, we have seen this, too.

Note there are some situations where A or B might be the appropriate
action.  But consider your options and the ramifications of your actions
carefully before choosing.

The ferret community cannot afford to foot the entire bill for these
large rescues, especially if it continues to happen once or twice a year.
The only way we can avoid this is by choosing option C.  Doing this works
best if there are some things already in place.  Having a prior working
relationship with the authorities is extremely important.  Knowing the
laws in your state/county/municipality with regard to animal abuse and
neglect is also paramount.  THESE THINGS MUST BE DONE *NOW*, BEFORE THE
ABUSIVE SITUATIONS ARISE.

If you run a shelter or a club, contact your local humane societies and
animal control offices NOW.  Let them know you can assist with ferret
rescue and care.  Establish a friendly and supportive relationship.

Find out about your local laws NOW.  If they are weak, learn how to
change them!

I'd like to thank Troy Lynn Eckart, Danee Devore, Alicia Drakiotes and
Sukie Crandall for their insights on these issues that helped me write
this post.

Linda Iroff