From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 2009 14:48:16 -0500
Anastrozole (Arimidex) came up in something today so I decided to
look it up in case others can also use having more details at their
fingertips.

These have info:
http://www.hofa-rescue.org/health/documents/illness/Melatonin.pdf
includes:
BEGIN SHORT QUOTES

[Melatonin] is safe to use in combination with other adrenal medicines
such as leuprolide acetate (Lupron depot), finasteride (Propecia or
Proscar) and anastrozole (Arimidex) ...
Anastrozole, such as Arimidex, is a tablet that can be used to
treat estrogen-induced anemia, thrombocytopenia and mammary gland
hyperplasia. This product is an enzyme inhibitor that stops the
formation of estrogen. After the estrogen level is lowered, the bone
marrow can start making red blood cells and platelets again. The
suggested dose is one tenth of a milligram per kilogram once a day.

END SHORT QUOTES

(There are over a hundred studies in various species including many
in ferrets for human medicine information which place or help place
persistent high levels of LH at the root of adrenal neoplasia, but
ferrets without gonads can not signal the pituitary to reduce LH
output. LH output increases in response to more light exposure causing
decreases in the natural levels of melatonin that the body's pineal
gland produces in darkness.)

http://www.vet.uga.edu/vpp/clerk/johnson/index.php

>Anastrozole (Arimidex, Zeneca Pharmaceuticals, Wilmington, DE) is
>an aromatase inhibitor that inhibits the production of estrone and
>estradiol from their precursor molecules.8 Ferrets often have
>increased concentrations of several different sex hormones in addition
>to or independently of estrogen. In these affected individuals,
>anastrozole is ineffective. This drug is relatively expensive and,
>therefore, is not commonly used to treat adrenal disease in ferrets.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: