From:
John & Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 15:20:39 -0500
I took Jasmin to the vet first thing this morning.  Pandora was due for
her shots in a week, so I brought her along too.  Well, the first thing
Jasmin did when the vet went to look at him was to pee.  That was a
relief.  Well, I had brought my 13 year old son along to help hold
Pandora, because I only wanted Jasmin in the carrier so we could see if
he went in his litter box.  That meant bringing along my 2 year old
daughter, too.  Big mistake.  She threw a fit when she couldn't play with
Jasmin when the vet got him out to let him move around & check the hind
end weakness.  So, they went ahead and vaccinated Pandora, and I (not
thinking straight with a 2 year old's tantrum going on) took my kids and
Pandora home since the vet said it would be a little while for bloodwork
and x-rays.  I got about 2 blocks away from my house when Pandora started
having the first vaccine reaction I have ever had in one of my ferrets.
So they jumped out of the car in our driveway and I floored it back to
the vet's, with Pandora vomiting the entire way.  I ran in with her,
scared half to death; they took her to the back to give her steroids
and antihistamine.  Fortunately, she is fine now, but I will always
pre-medicate with Benadryl and wait afterwards from now on, with all my
ferrets.

Well, long story short (too late, lol), Jasmin's blood glucose level was
only 42.  Some of the lab work they were able to do at the vet's office,
but they are waiting for the results of some test (can't remember what
it's called) that they have to send to a lab.  We should know by Friday,
but as it is, the vet suspects that he has insulinoma.

Shannon
Sterling, Pandora, & Jasmin