From:
sharin alpert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 21:56:35 -0800
Ferret who doesn't "dook:" I don't think it means the ferret is unhappy.
Just like some people laugh out loud when theyre happy and others just feel
a glow of satisfaction inside... One of my ferrets chuckles so softly you
almost can't hear it, it's like sub-auditory, you just sort of sense it;
the other dooks almost never; but I *know* they're both happy.  They're 2
happy animals.  These 2 are both more likely to chuckle when they are
excited by unusual circumstances - like being in a part of the house that's
usually off-limits, or meeting a stranger for the first time.

On leaving them uncaged when you're at work: We do.  We have one room that
is ferret-proofed, and that whole room is their turf.  Their cage is in it,
and we shut them up when we vacuum (which is rarely...) - and they often go
in it by choice - But are almost never shut in.  My experience is that they
are MUCH less hyper than when they kept were caged.  One is downright calm,
and the other has gone from totally frantic to extremely active - he even
sleeps sometimes now.  Of course, not everyone could do this.... Also, we
are aware that however proofed it's not as safe as keeping them caged - but
to us, the increased risk is balanced by the increased quality of life.
(Wish i could give em the run of the whole house - but we are *way* too
flakey for that, and the dog too unreliable, and the house too old and
hole-y...)

Drew: I too cried over your loss.  I have lost pets who I had only briefly
but bonded with deeply.  It breaks your heart.  But I also agree you did
the right thing... My prejudice is to hope you get another pet, when you're
ready of course, but you do what feels right for you.

Thank you all!  I love hearing from you each day!  I appreciate your humor
and sappiness & wisdom.  Long may you dook.

---sharin,
Chloe (wanna dance?)
and Ramon (more coffee!!)