From:
Betty Janner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 18:02:55 -0600

I have 8 finches that just happen to be the perfect snack size for a ferret.
Half my ferret group is allowed free run in the house (the girls) and the
other half (the boys) have their own room.  Whenever either group is out and
about I have NEVER had a single problem with the ferrets and the finches
being together.  As a matter of fact I often hold them in front of the bird
cage to give them something else to look at.  The ferrets watch but nothing
else.  On a few occassions I have even placed them together and still
nothing happens.  If you're not familiar with finches, they are constantly
moving and flying, chirping and singing.  The birds are nothing more than a
temporary distraction and then its off to rearrange my sock drawer again.
Aside from the single pidgeon incident I spoke about a few posts ago, the
ferrets have always gotten along with any of the birds I have had.  I can't
speak for all ferrets though but mine don't really seem that interested.  I
even offered a little BBQ sauce and still no takers!  ;-)

My feeling is that for the first little while supervise them when the birds
and the ferrets are together.  If there is any suspicion that the ferrets
might be interested in the birds merely place the cage in an area that is
away from accessible spots to climb or jump from, and hang the cage directly
from the ceiling.  This way there is no stand to knock over.  Or move the
cage anyway and don't worry about it.

On more than one occassion a finch has flown the coop directly to the ferret
room and STILL no takers.  I found the finch running around the floor with
Taero hot on his heels but he seemed more interested in the movement and
sounds.  Could I guarantee that a finch tragedy would not happen?  No, but
then again who can guarantee anything in life.

Good luck,

Betty and the Flying Ferrets and the Fabulous Fickle Finches