Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 2009 19:22:46 -0500
Hi Everyone,

I am posting in reference to the rescue I recently did of 82 ferrets
on October 31st. I see a total mess up of the whole story that I have
tried to keep silent for a little while, has gone totally out of
control and I would like to set the facts straight!

The ferret sanctuary that I took ALL of the ferrets from were board
member's of the Midwest Ferret Fellowship. They were in desperate need
to close their sanctuary due to one of the board member's severe health
problems causing her to be in ICU/CCU for 6 weeks not able to breath
on her own. She is now out of ICU/CCU with a tracheotomy and slowly
recovering, but will not be able to continue as a ferret sanctuary
anymore. Her husband did NOT want her to find this out until she was
in better condition, so she did not have any set backs. She will be
getting 5 of her favorites back when she eventually gets to go home.
(Possibly 3-6 months)

Kim Fox of Something Up My Sleeve Ferret Rescue, had Jill Brumley post
for her the other day, and I would like to give some updates on this
situation. She generously offered to take 20 of the sick ferret for
us and 6 for another person willing to care for them. That has been
canceled due to the stress factor the ferrets are experiencing over the
past couple of days. It is too far to transport that many sick ferrets
that are dealing with the stress of the move they have experienced. Kim
is forwarding all of the donations she received for this rescue ($80 so
far) due to the change of events. (Thank you, Kim!)

There was a posting about breeding McKay ferrets? We picked up 60
ferrets from Lori's. Jennifer Deming and myself took our vehicles and
invited Dee Gage & her Volunteer Rose along with us. Dee was taking 20
of the 60 I transported. I had 40. Dee was the only one that was the
breeder of the 60 ferrets that I transported. Two of them that I know
of. (I guess she wanted the experience of breeding?) NONE of the 40 I
rescued were used for breeding. All of the females were spaded right
away with the $400 we received from SOS. (Thank you again, SOS) The
rest of them were done out of my pocket! I can not do all of them at
once...they cost a lot when you have 40 ferrets to do...

The sanctuary has gotten many McKay's on their own. You could
say...they had their own connections with the farm. I have 7 males that
are not only McKay''s that need neutering. There are many breeder's in
Michigan! I only ask for help when I have a big situation happening
like this one. This is the most ferrets we have ever had in our rescue!
127 ferrets!!!!! We had 2 go to the rainbow bridge this weekend due to
insulinoma...now we have 125 ferrets.

Well? I believe enough has been said. If you want any question's
answered, please email me privately and do not blow this story out of
proportion's! I am an honest person that is an retired ICU/CCU nurse
and like to respect people's privacy. That is why I do not post much
on the FML except for events.

Debbie Fitzgerald
Deb's Ferret Rescue & Boarding
New Era, MI