From:
Richard & Stacie Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jul 1998 18:45:09 -0500
Hi everyone!  A few of you may remember about six months ago we posted
after giving both our females a bath and the dominant one began immediately
attacking the younger one.  This after almost two years of blissful
togetherness in the cage, in play, etc.... Well it's happened again, once
again after a bath, but this time the tips we so thankfully received last
time from many of you are not working as quickly.  So far we have used musk
oil, first on the dominant one only; now we have gone to putting a slight
bit on the younger one so the differences in their smell is slowly becoming
less and less.  We continue to separate them, mediate interactions, etc.
SOME progress has been made, but it's been three weeks already.  My question
is how likely is it that they will never get along the way they used to, and
has anyone had any ferrets who started out liking each other and then
didn't?  I'm more familiar with the scenario when a new ferret is introduced
and they have to warm up to each other (or never get along).  Have any of
you witnessed a permanent "falling out" of sorts among ferrets who used to
get along?  I'm very curious.  We sure as hell aren't going to bathe them
for a while!  But I wonder if that's part of the problem - waiting too long
between baths, thereby stripping the strong and familiar smell from their
coats.  Thanks in advance for any feedback!!!!

Stacie and Rich Armstrong