From:
Debbi Searing <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 20:22:33 EST
This is a message from the walking wounded, as in, bloody gashes on my
hand, as in, just recently, there was a ferret clinging to my thumb by his
TEETH, attempting to kill it.....

Merlin is a big fan of his red rubber ferret Kong, so mom (ie, me)
developed this cool (so I thought!) game of throwing it down the stairs for
him to chase, then he brings it back up to hide in my daughter's bedroom,
but I snag it away and throw it down the stairs again.  You get the
picture: minimum effort from mom, major exercise for pudgy-bottomed ferret,
all works out well.....

Except that Merlin is a little aggressive when it comes to his Kong, and
any attempts to grab it from his teeth are met with strong and violent
flipping out!

Gash #1, I got the Kong away, but didn't get my thumb away fast enough, and
Merlin latched on, hanging on and weaving in the air while mom screamed in
agony

Gash #2, I got the Kong away (yes, we are STILL playing this game, loss of
blood lowered my IQ), and held it in the air--I thought it was out of his
reach.  It was, my finger was NOT.  He can jump higher than I ever expected!

Gash #3, I got the Kong away (I know, I know, give up, find new exercise
regimen!), but not quite fast enough and as he snagged it again in a
death-like grip, he grazed my finger.  Hey, we are making progress--now
he just grazes my fingers, rather than biting right through them!

Time to get rid of the Kong, methinks!

The only plus to this is that having a young daughter as well as a
rambunctious ferret allows me to put Blues Clues, Snoopy, and Little
Mermaid Band-Aids on my bloody wounds :-)

debbi, Merlin the finger-muncher, and Molly the ever-innocent bystander