From:
Linda Mooring <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 10:26:35 -0800
I'm glad too that the pet store no longer sells ferrets, but I don't
consider it that much of a victory.  I'm from California, so when I go out
of state, I'm madly curious to see ferrets in public.  I've visited lots of
pet stores out of state.  Most don't sell ferrets, and in the few stores I
found them (this was in Virginia in the Williamsburg and Richmond areas),
the sales clerks were very knowledgeable and helpful.  At one store I wasn't
allowed to handle a ferret until the clerk found out I'd already owned some.
He was concerned that young ferrets tend to bite, and didn't want an
inexperienced person around the kits (I washed my hands, too).

In the Seattle area, I found no stores that carried ferrets.  Unfortunately,
the owners and clerks in these stores also carried very disturbing attitudes
about ferrets - similar to the sentiments shown by the clerk at the store J.
Christen describes.  One clerk said, "Oh we'd never sell those viscious
things!  They make awful pets!"

Spreading knowledge and understanding would be a much greater victory than
just banning ferrets from being sold at a store, I think.  Instead we've got
one more pet store worker/owner spreading negative misinformation about
ferrets.  Wouldn't it be much more wonderful if that store owner now carried
some respect for ferrets as well as a handy list of local breeders and
ferret shelters?

I'm not saying that it's not a good thing that they no longer sell ferrets,
I'm just trying to point out that while some good was done, some points for
ferrets were also lost.  I hope this doesn't come across as a flame; it's
not meant as one.

Maybe this isn't a closed case.  Perhaps that store would benefit from a few
friendly visits by people from the local ferret shelter.  If they could
nicely and diplomatically spread a little positive information about
ferrets, maybe they could convince the store owner to host occasional
adoption days where ferrets from the shelter visit in hopes of connecting
with an adoptive parent.  This would be a real victory, IMO.

Linda M. (ferretless in CA)