From:
Pam Sessoms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 10:30:43 -0400
I read [log in to unmask] post about Ferret Guardian Rescue
Haven and wanted to address some of his/her points.

First of all, I am sure that it is frustrating to want to adopt a ferret
and have the plans for pickup fall through, especially more than once.  I
can sympathize with that.  Diane, who runs the shelter, is extremely busy
and often exhausted.  She is having some health problems in her family as
well as a full ferret shelter.

She is not a collector.  True, she does have a lot of ferrets, but she
adopts them out quite regularly.  I, personally, have adopted three
ferrets from her over the last few months and had others offered to me by
her, but I am at my personal limit.  I am also aware of at least 6 other
very recent placements, and those are just the ones I know about because
they went to people on my area's local club's discussion list.  Diane runs
a good, responsible, selective ferret adoption program.  She turns down
adoption applications from people who don't seem like they would be able
to properly care for ferrets but will work with those who just need more
education.  Collectors often get into a mindset where no one is good
enough; Diane does not think that way and in fact sounds like she had
approved Mysticalshadow.

Diane often asks me to work with people who contact her about giving up
ferrets.  She would rather have young, healthy ferrets placed from their
home directly to a new home rather than go through the shelter step.
Often, we are able to work with people to place their ferrets before they
land in the shelter.  Not really the mark of a collector.

Diane does wind up taking in large numbers of sick ferrets (adrenal,
insulinoma, etc...).  Here in NC, we have an epidemic of people dumping
their ferrets, especially the sick ones.  This tends to keep FGRH's
numbers up, because Diane doesn't adopt out sickies (unless someone
specifically wants and has the means to care of special needs ferrets,
which is quite rare).  She gets those ferrets surgeries as soon as funds
allow and treats them medically in the meantime.  She always seems to
have ferrets recovering from surgery in the house and is constantly
nursing a crew of sick, old, ferrets.  FGRH ferrets do get enough
attention, although it is exhausting work and Diane usually doesn't sleep
many hours a night.  She always has ferrets tucked in around her when she
does catch a nap.

FGRH was, in fact, closed to new admissions for a time several months
back.  She was at her absolute maximum, and she knew it.  She did the
right thing and closed her doors to incoming ferrets for a time, until
she could get some adopted out.  I only mention this because it's another
point that speaks against "collector tendencies."

Does Diane Campbell have a lot of ferrets in her shelter?  Yes.  Does her
schedule make it difficult at times to arrange meetings with her?  Yes.
Could she use some help, mostly financial?  Yes.  Does she adopt out
ferrets?  Yes.  Is she a collector?  No.

Best wishes,
-Pam S.