From:
Amy Seyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jun 2009 08:29:42 -0400
Odd that this would come up...and I'm not sure I fit into this
category, but Felix had a major reaction in February to his rabies...
vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, shocky-type symptoms. He recovered
quickly with the excellent work of our vet.

Friday, I took Rory (who's only 2) in for his rabies and waited the
usual amount of time thereafter...no signs of anything at all. Then
about 4 hours later, he started coughing funny and I went to check on
him...and his eyes were completely swollen out of their sockets and
almost swollen shut. Called the vet (who is 1.5 hours away) and they
said he needed medical help immediately. Living on the Outer Banks of
NC however leaves a lot to be desired in ferret medical care, but I got
him to a vet who called mine and they walked her through everything and
Rory is fine. Never went into a full "shock" type reaction but I had
never seen eye swelling before.

Anyway, I thought it was odd that both of them would react (not so much
Felix, as he is 5)...in 20 years of owning ferrets I only had one other
reaction, and that was to distemper. The other piece of the puzzle is
that Lila, who is 4, was also vaccinated the same time as Felix and had
no problem. So I will see if I can get the info Sukie requested and
report it and have my vet report it too...sounds like there may be a
problem.

Amy, Dave, Sarah & Paul (and their gaggle of giggling ferrets)
RIP Ian, Elektra, Claudia, Sidney, Max, Hannah, Fritz, & Fiona
Missing Tasha