From:
Steve & Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 1995 16:58:02 EDT
I listened closely to some chattering sounds on Beast Master 2, and found
Barb's C.'s post from when she spoke with the soundperson for the film.
He told her that the sounds of over 30 critters were used for the few
species in the film.  To me (and here,please, recall that my capuchin
experience is limited to one animal with whom I did not personally work,
but contacted indirectly when I worked with cage mates) the noises seem
like they could be Cebus sounds taken to a higher pitch and cleaned of the
side raspiness.

IMHO, bashing a mourner is uncalled for, and while the person who did so
may have received such requests it surprised me as well that he let
himself be set-up in such a fashion by others who knew better.  Neither
was in the usual character of this list nor of the poster.  Therefore, in
reprimand, I include two poor haiku pieces, one for those who have
recently lost older ferrets, and the other for those who have lost younger
ones.  Yes, such sentiments can seem trite... hmmm... trite -- let's see,
that's when the content should be obvious, as in mourners hurt enough to be
less rigorous than they might otherwise be, and as in giving sympathy when
it is needed, partly because each of us will be battered that way at points
in our lives and need the same understanding.  Should he repeat I promise
that I am willing to ask Bill for his FFZ address, for sending reams of
horrid poetry, sappy-to-dripping puns, and trash Hallmark's executives
would sell their very souls for.  So ... relent and repent, miscreant, or
risk a fate verse than death.  There's nothing to lose but your lunch.
Hand me my cape, Robin.

Autumnal life crumbling
Sifts between fingers
Love long well returned

(Yes, I grew up with 2 syllable 'crumbling'.)

Recall nose kisses
Mischief, laughter, and the sweet
Kidnap of your heart

Chere, There have been many posting again on flight problems.  What is the
outlook on your rescuers adding ferret transport as a pay by the load and
mile service?  Small planes are really ideal for the critters' safety, and
it could add another possible source of income for the pilots, who could
transfer loads as needed to others in your network.

I'm enough past the aggravation of my cervical damage, and a family virus
this week that Warp is finding that she has to speed up again in her
chase-me challenges.  She's a year now and still faster than any ferret
we've ever had or seen.  Sure glad we took her on.  Gotta have faith.

Our Hale (the retired breeder who was canine bitten in the eye during
mating) was a solitary ferret after that.  She'd tolerate only infant
ferrets, so we gave her a separate cage.  Ruffle has to live alone because
her handicaps cause her interaction problems.  Ferret personalities vary
widely and do change as they mature.

Genotype does not necessarily equal phenotype.  Not only are there alleles
which vary in their expression from individual to individual (sometimes
from blood type to blood type, or with other factors), or alter their
expression depending on stress levels and other environmental aspects, or
on age, but some genes can suppress others.  (How many families were
damaged by newspaper columns which once said that two blue-eyed parents
can't have a brown eyed baby?  Surprise, it's not so simple, not for us,
or for our ferret lines.) Also, sometimes an allele just won't turn on.

                Sukie (and the other 7  wonderful
                kissers in our household)