From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 14:06:05 EDT
Sean and Rocky have something in common that jumped right out at me last
night.  I was watching Rocky walking over me on the couch.  I said, "Hi
Rocky, is ya bein' a real ferret huh?".  I smiled as this was not always
the case with rolly polly Rocky.  He was seven months old before he could
get up one stair (12 inches)!  He was a little older when he figured out
how to climb up on a chair or couch with us.  He was hand-raised by the
shelter mom as he was so sick and little (she aged him at five weeks old or
less, with eyes still shut).  It is obvious that his high fevers as a baby
took a toll on him.  Anyway, she carried him around in pouches until he was
quite old.  He has always socialized with humans more than other ferrets.
And it has been such a delight to see this little soul grow and flower.  We
say that he is "learning to be a 'real' ferret" when he progresses and when
he does ferrety things rather than human or puppy dog like things.

Looking at Rocky last night and remarking that he was a 'real' ferret,
triggered a memory which washed over me like a tidal wave.  Sean's favorite
movie when he was little, was Pinocchio.  He used to reenact the last scene
over and over,,, coming to life saying he was a real boy.  As he got older
he would come grab our hand and lead us to the floor so he could do it over
and over and over again.  One day when he was older, he had actually turned
to me and said he was a real boy now just like Pinocchio.  I mean really
said it and meant it.  It came to me in a rush why Pinocchio was such a hit
with him.  And it brought me to tears to think my beautiful boy related to
a wooden puppet all those years, and I didn't even realize it.  I had
forgotten all that.

Now I see this parallel with Rocky and it's almost to much to bear when I
look at him.  Isn't life ironic how it plays out.  It's been quite a while
since I've had to help Rocky up a chair or see him bewildered at ferret
games.  It's been a long time since I've sat through the movie Pinocchio.

Wolfy

Please visit:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/
for information on ferret deafness: