From:
Vicky James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jun 1997 19:34:33 -0500
JM and all FML,

I was so mad when I read your post that I sent an e-mail message to Mr.
Resnic.  It follows:

Wayne Resnic,

As a secretary at a public radio station I didn't believe it when I first
started and the public radio people were telling me we were a step above
commercial radio, however you are proving to me how right they were.  Would
you like to know why?  At least we get our facts straight before speaking to
all the people in our listening area so we don't look stupid.

FACTS:
First of all, Kodo did not bite the older gentleman.  The older gentleman
in an attempt to pet Kodo snagged his finger on Kodo's tooth (if you knew
as much about ferrets as you proclaim you do, you'd know their lower
canines protrude from their mouth).  The gentleman stated that the ferret
DID NOT BITE him.

Second, the rabies vaccine is very effective in ferrets, just not 100%.  It
is 96% effective, but it's only 86% effective in cats and dogs, any
comments now?

Third, Mr. Jacobs and family along with all other ferret owners knew the
ferret could not have rabies because it could not have come in contact with
anything that carried rabies.   Kodo was always in the house and monitored
when running free in the house and caged when not being monitored.  When he
took his ferrets out they were in carriers or held in his hands.  So unless
you think ferrets are born with rabies it was a 0% chance and a vet
testified to that in court.  Is your statement "Kodo's owner and fellow
ferret-fanatics were responsible for tying up the Michigan court system and
preventing the health authorities from doing their job" an attempt to say
that pet owners have no rights?  The last time I checked this was America
and we all have rights, even you to make uneducated statements.

Fourth, the older gentleman was not in the least concerned about contracting
rabies (where in the world did you get your information, I think I would
look for another source!) and signed a document to that ef fect!  He even
went on an extended vacation and refused to get the rabies series because he
didn't feel that there was any need for it!

Fifth and last IMRAB vaccine is approved by the FDA for ferrets!  More
extensive tests have been done on ferrets than any other pet.  The findings
indicated that with the Fox and Skunk stains of rabies that ferrets were
highly resistant to these forms and had to be injected with high amounts of
the virus to contract it and then got the "dumb" form which in layman's
terms is that they go into a paralytic coma before they start shedding the
virus and are therefore unable to transmit it.  With the raccoon strain they
did contract it but were dead within 3 to 5 days after symptoms and shedding
the virus started which falls into the 10 day quarantine period for dogs and
cats.  So where is your "rabies time bomb" theory now?  The bat rabies virus
strain is now being tested on ferrets, which is what the animal control
people in MI were claiming had to be the culprit because there is no
information about the shedding period for this one.  Dogs and cats don't
have any testing done on the bat rabies virus strain, does that mean that
now all dogs and cats that bite will have to be killed and tested for
rabies?  A dangerous precedent don't you think?  There is NO KNOWN
transmission of rabies from ferrets to a human or other animal on record in
the United States.  Can you say the same about cats and dogs?

Oh, by the way, Kodo tested negative for rabies.  Explain that one to Bob
Jacobs' children!

I would appreciate a response unless you're too embarrassed that you didn't
get all the facts before inserting foot in mouth.  Or are listeners more
important than the truth?

Vicky
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/ferret1/
Families are Forever