From:
Bruce Gaylord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 01:15:16 EDT
I went searching for an answer to hairballs and pineapple juice and just
came up with more questions and no answers by qualified quotable sources.

So Bruce Williams DVM was kind enough to answer and provide the
following...

Dear Bruce:

In my experience, there really is nothing that will dissolve a hairball
that has already formed in a ferret's stomach.  I am aware of the use of
pineapple juice in rabbits, as this type of juice is supposed to have high
levels of papain, a digestive enzyme.  However, I have always viewed it
with a bit of skepticism, as keratin, the prime component of hair, is
really tough stuff, and if the stomach's hydrochloric acid content, which
keeps the pH of the stomach at around 1.0 in the ferret can't dissolve
hairballs, then I'm not sure how a daily shot of pineapple juice would.

Hairballs may be picked up early if there is significant clinical signs,
such as vomiting loose hair, hair in the feces, etc., but often show no
clinical signs until they occupy almost the entire stomach.  A contrast
radiograph with barium may cause it to show up, but many are still missed.

To my knowledge, excessive gas is not a particular sign of any GI problem,
including hairballs.  Many ferrets do pass a lot of gas while defecating as
a normal finding.

Hairball removal in ferrets is best done with surgery, and has a very good
recovery rate if caught early.  Once total blockage occurs, such as I
suspect happened in the case report which you describe, a number of
problems, including chrinic weight loss, may contribute to mortality.

Hairballs are best prevented by weekly administration of a petrolatum
compound like Laxatone, and in animals which have a history of excessive
grooming or previous hairball problems, daily administration is
recommended.  Most laxative products are taken as treats by ferrets.

The short answer - once a hairball forms, it is most likley a surgical
problem, and pineapple juice is not the answer.

With kindest regards,

Bruce Williams, DVM

dooks
Bruce