Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 17:11:06 EST
>From:    Deana Beek <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ANGORAS (AGGRESSIVE?????)
>>They are having problems with them being agressive probably typical kit
>>stuff (but nipping harder), so they are blaming that on the "line" of the
>>Angoras.

>Yes, "TYPICAL KIT" stuff.  That does NOT constitute the word "AGRESSIVE".
>In a discussion with a very wise individual of the ferret world the word
>"ASSERTIVE" was suggested as the more appropriate terminology.

>And in terms of kits nipping harder....think about it....my imports AS KITS
>were larger than my FULL GROWN American bred ferrets so naturally the jaws
>are stronger and the nip may be a little harder...
>However, the point is that with the proper training they learn just like
>any other ferret what is acceptible and what is not.  And just like
>American ferrets...there will be those few that are harder to train....
>have a mind of their own.

Unfortunatly, the "not quite so knowledgable" ferret owner or impulse buyer
will not see or think of the differences in "aggressive" and "assertive".
I do agree with you on that part and also with the difference in
developement of the "imports".  But they are labled "agressive" due to the
improper or non-training they received.

>>Please don't get me wrong - I haven't owned one & do not have experience
>>with them - but I have only spoken of things owners of an Angora & dealers
>>(a pet store) have told me - all first hand.
>
>Yeh, and didn't you say that you didn't see or know how she handled the
>ferret???  ... Maybe the methods that this person was using to try to
>train this ferret was not effective.... I am not saying this person was not
>experienced, I am just saying there could be alot of factors at play here
>so I am not even going to get into it, but even if the ferret would not
>stop nipping/biting it is important to note that there are American ferrets
>like this too so this behavior should not be labeled or blamed on the term
>"ANGORA" or "IMPORTED"....

Yeah - I did say that I didn't know of it's training or up bringing.  I
agree with you and think every ferret (or anyother animal) is a direct
result of it's handling or non-handling - no matter what "kind" it is.

>I know why the general public labels it as it does, but why do "EDUCATED"
>Ferret owners contribute to this false "label"???  Ok, imagine if an
>elected official or someone less educated were lurking in the wings (or
>even the F&G) you never know who is lurking...what kind of impression does
>that leave???  Here are "EDUCATED" ferret owners using terms such as
>"AGGRESSIVE".  What kind of impact could that have on legislative efforts?

I do agree with you here - as far as being mislabled (or labled at all) -
but keep in mind educated ferret owners also label their ferrets as in "the
weasel family".  We call them carpet sharks, fur snakes, weasels, some even
rats, and we even joke about them taking down deer.  So the same applies
there.  So, no matter what people say, it doesn't mean that they mean it
100%.  No harm is meant from anybody on this list.

>I hope that you do not feel that this is a personal attack on you or your
>post.  My first post was mean as a generalized sort of statement in regards
>to present and past posts on angoras.  I am not saying anyone is a liar or
>their information is not true...I was only trying to point out to those
>that are curious or interested in angoras to inquire further...

I do not feel personally attacked!  This is what we are all here on this
list for - education!  How can we learn about issues and grow if it is not
discussed?  And Deana, I am inquiring further and will continue to do so.
I may just end up with a few extra furry furries!

Amy Flemming
Glemming Farms
http://www.geocities.com/heartland/ranch/9521