From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 00:49:24 -0400
Congratulations on your upcoming baby!  My wife and I had a son just
over two years ago.  The baby and ferrets have coexisted quite well.  We
know which ferrets are likely to nip (as they also nip me) and are very
careful - that one is not left around the toddler unsupervised (although
he loves to play with that ferret.)

Ferrets are really no more dangerous to children than any other domestic
animal; but no animal should be left alone with an infant for any reason.

Raising a baby is especially time-consuming and exhausting.  If you do
not believe that you will either be able to care for the ferrets, or be
able to supervise their interaction totally with a small child, then I
would encourage you to find a new and loving home for them.  But literally
thousands of couples have juggled babies and ferrets, and done it very
well.

With kindest regards,
Bruce H. Williams, DVM, DACVP

Join the Ferret Health List at