From:
"Sheri M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 1997 19:09:24 -0500
Hi Christine and Tim, (And all--)

Unfortunately, this is a very appropriate place for all the sad stories that
we do see here.

'Twould be wonderful if we outlived our beloved furry friends and didn't
have to suffer such sadnesses ... but then we'd worry ourselves into our
graves over who would properly care for our friends after our passing.

Often weird illnesses and accidents lead to death.  Sometimes these deaths
could have been prevented "if only we'd known ... " and I imagine many
ferrets' deaths have been prevented by the information contained w/in some
of the sad stories here.

And there is a solace to being able to "write out" the grief ... especially
when one knows the readers are empathic and many others have "been there."

We write silly happy things here, too!  Belive me, many who know me roll
their eyes and think (I can tell) ... "whoa boy, here she goes again, on and
on and on about those elongnated rats" --but when I write the stories of the
silly things they do to the FML, I know someone smiles.  I like this place.
I like its many forms of sharing, from silly to sad.  I don't always agree
with what I read here.  That's my right.

An example ... (no offense, Sukie) I often skimmed Sukie's updates on
Meltdown because the changes of meds and dosages were meaningless to my
inexperienced self.  But the info may have been very meaningful to someone
who's dealt with this illness.  And I think just writing the updates may
have cleansed Sukie's spirit and leant her strength.  I've kept Meltie in my
heart for all these months and am both saddened and relieved that she wasn't
allowed to suffer overlong.

We need this place to express both joys and sorrows.

When my sable boy, Mort, who is so busy all the time I can hardly touch him,
cuddled with me for a nap yesterday, and the day before, and the day before
THAT (3 days in a row!) I knew someone on the FML would understand how
important I felt!  This busy critter is choosing ME over his cage mate to
snuggle with, to close his eyes and go to sleep, knowing all is well in his
world and expecting all to be well when he wakes up.  These past few days
he's made me feel pretty great.  Pepper still sleeps in his cage (by his
choice) ... but he at least snuggles with me when he's awake.  Mort can't
hardly sit still awake, much less stand a cuddle that last longer than 10
seconds.

Give us some time ... you'll quickly become adept at skimming or skipping
parts of the FML that aren't of interest to you.

Oh, and not Everybody logs onto AOL--it just seems like it!  Besides that,
the FML seems so much more like a warm and close family than any chat room
ever could.  Or at least it does most of the time.

--Sheri  (no flame intended w/in this post)
--Mort  (So, when are you going to buy that Sherpa thing so I can go
  everywhere with you?)
--Pepper (Count me out. . . well ...  unless you'd consider opening that
  door and then turning your back for one eensy-teensy little minute ... I'd
  rather not have a guided tour of the world.  I'll come back, promise.
  Someday, anyway.)