Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2007 10:31:53 -0500
To the person that was diagnosed with allergies/asthma - were you
tested specifically for ferret allergen? There is a test to verify if
it is the ferrets you are allergic to and I'd recommend it so you can
figure out if it is the ferrets or not. At this time of year there are
many allergens in the air, in our homes, everywhere so it is possible
you could be reacting to something other than the ferrets. What type
of bedding and litter do you use for the ferrets? Do you have other
companion animals?

The ferret allergen test -
Your doctor can have your blood drawn and send it to Mayo Clinic for 1
Allergen Specific IGE 86003.

I have asthma. My pulmonary doctor thought I was allergic to ferrets
but the test came back negative so we were able to move forward.

A friend has allergies and asthma. She has ferrets, takes medications
and keeps their room very clean.

If your test comes back positive (and even if it doesn't since
something is causing an allergic reaction) then you can talk to
your doctor about medications. There are so many allergy and asthma
medications available and many people with allergies and asthma that
have ferrets do fine on medication.

tle
www.ferretfamilyservices.org