From:
Melissa McDaniels <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 20:48:16 EDT
Instead of flames and deconstructive criticism, both on FML and in our
daily lives, we all need to stop and analyze those instantaneous gut
reactions we have to certain things.  This goes back to my comment that
all suffering extends form ANGER, GREED and IGNORANCE (which to me is #1)
If your anger is caused by the ignorance of another why cause yourself
suffering and exacerbate the suffering of the other individual?  You
think that maybe they already endure a certain amount of suffering due to
their lack of knowledge?  Whether it be due to their own neglect in
seeking the right information or due to someone else giving out
misinformation.  FML is here to provide information and support, to
correct Misinformation and teach those that may have been the subject of
such the correct way to do things.  Anger and flames not only hurt the
person they are directed to, but they hurt you by blocking you from
open-minded, compassionate thinking.  AND although I may receive a
certain amount of flames from my next comment (and yes, I am aware of
the whole story by now) even the Morrison situation Should not be
approached with anger, even if it our first instinct.  Real action and
accomplishment comes from objective analysis and research of the
situation.  Put your heart into learning what you can about situations
like Morrison and Petco, so instead of reacting with negativity and
flames to the (potentially un/mis-informed) ideas of others, you can
respond with intelligence and clarity.  Personally I do feel a bit of
compassion for Morrison.  (even more for the others involved who suffered
as a consequence of her actions) She will miss out on most of the joys
that we owners probably take for granted every day.  She might learn
something from this, I hope so.  But what's done is done and for the sake
of all those that were injured mentally and physically at her hands we
need to turn this incident into something positive.  Sometimes it may be
hard to see, but she brought the ferret community more into the public
eye, and while it was negative publicity, it is still publicity that we
as loving owners can use to point out the long-standing issues that have
a need for resolution.i There are so many causes out there that I won't
even begin to name them, but we all have something we feel the need to
fight for and we need to unite and see that one by one progress is made
in each of those aspects... To me it's the best thing I can do to show my
fuzzies that all the joy they bring to my life is not and could never be,
taken for granted.

~Namaste~
Melissa M.
I'm not sure what provoked this post, I guess after all I've read in the
last month or so I just felt I had something else to say...