From:
Sue Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 21:20:28 EST
Hi,
My Abigail, a 6 year old female, is having problems.  Took her to the vet
today.  Did a ferret profile..don't know all the results yet, but blood
sugar is 60.  This vet says just give her some nutrical and see if she
perks up.  Says normal low for a ferret is 68.  He also said that upon
examination she has an enlarged spleen.  He isn't wanting to investigate
the spleen right now.  Unfortunately, I had to work and sent her and my
husband to the vet this morning.  Hubby is vague as to what was said at
vets.  Of course, I sent him with a list of all symptoms and that I
wanted a ferret profile and blood sugar done.  He did not get the ferret
knowledgeable vet that I normally try to see (got his collegue instead).
This vet doesn't really know me since I try to go to only the one vet at
the office.

Symptoms:
1.hind legs that sometimes "slide" out from under her.
2.not as playful as usual - sleeps more than usual
3.had a cough and runny nose for about a week (we have colds in the
  house)
4.vomited two days ago
5.stops and stares into space with head "bobbing"
6.daughter held her this AM and she layed there and slobbered all over
  daughters arm (red flag and why insisted hubby go to vet with her)

Still eating fine, still drinking fine, still pooping ok.

Sure sounds like insulinoma to me.  But what about the enlarged spleen?
Her coat is great, eyes clear, no signs of trauma.  Any ideas or
suggestions?

Thanks,
Sue and the fur kids: Abigail, Templeton, Gidget, Bailey, and Simon
Missing Jonesy, Fiesty and Racoccoa