From:
Tanya M Vestal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 10:55:21 -0600
I'm just commenting on the feral ferret issue.  First, Mo' Bob, your
comments on this are very interesting (I'm a Zoology major).  Second, I
wanted to comment on a few things that Jim said.  He stated that mustelids
are depredating some species, and that he was not referring only to ferrets,
so I guess I'm not too sure how that argument concerns ferrets at all.  Are
some of those mustelids once-domesticated ferrets?  The thing about this
whole argument that confuses me the most is just how many ferrets are let
loose in CA anyway?  And how many of them are whole, and not neutered?  My
thesis is on the black-footed ferret population (or lack thereof) in
Meeteetse, WY.  (my info is for bff's, but it should be GENERALLY true for
ferrets as well, to the best of my knowledge.) In order for a population to
be viable and able to sustain itself, a minimum of 30-40 breeding animals
with an even sex ratio is necessary, providing the needed habitat/prey is
available.  I'm not sure how habitat and prey would apply to domestic
ferrets - as far as I know, flannel sleep sacks and Linatone are not part of
CA's natural flora and fauna.  But what are the odds of enough whole
breeding ferrets of both sexes being let loose in the same area?  And even
if there was a population of this size, one disease, like distemper (which
helped wipe out the bff's) could very well decimate the population, or at
least reduce it to a number where it was no longer viable.  Inbreeding is
virtually unavoidable in such a small population, which would also increase
susceptibility to disease.  Also, I believe the accepted definition of a
feral population (Bob, please feel free to correct me!) is one that has
found a sustaining prey/food supply, and has an established breeding
history.  Jim, if you would like, I do have references for my information.
(except the definition)

I guess that was more like $10 than $.04 -- Sorry!

Tanya-