From:
Marie Coddens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 2004 05:47:50 -0700
Hey Wendy :)

>Please never again let your ferrets vaccinate with a Vanguard-vaccine.
>There's a strong suspicion of bad reactions (even causing distemper in
>stead of preventing it) to Vanguard in ferrets and it should never be
>used for them!  In fact none of the distemper-vaccines based on
>dog-cell-cultures should be used on ferrets.

~~~~Another product that should be avoided is Enduracell 7 (also based on
dog cell cultures)

>It is indeed very unusual over here that a ferret shows a bad reaction
>to vaccination (when using the right products), I've been wondering
>myself why this is such a huge problem in the US (where you have
>ferret-specific vaccines, which we don't have over here).  One theory
>I've read suggests that it's due to the difference between american
>ferrets and european ferrets (european ferrets being healthier and
>closer to the "genuine" ferret and to the polecat, whereas american
>ferrets are most likely weaker and more bred in "fancy colors" *grmbl*
>we see more and more (american) DEW's, Panda's, Polka-dots, .... over
>here too lately :-( )

~~~~I might have agreed with that theory a few years ago but now??  As
far as I can tell, angoras, blazes, pandas etc.  don't seem more inclined
to reactions than the standard sable, ablino and champagne ferret ... If
memory serves, Fervac-D is used in Sweden too.  It might be interesting
to know about their experience with it ...

Cheers,
Marie

PS: Wendy, how is Warrel doing?