From:
Risa Di Vincenzo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 15:51:34 -0500
It's nearly a new year.  A new year for us, for ferrets, and for shelters
everywhere.  A new year of second chances and a new year of needs.

Shelters and ferret activists amaze me.  How they can muster up so much
energy to fight such continuous battles is unbelievable.  They see the
joy in the ferrets for whom they have made a difference, but they also
see much obstinance, adversity, and heartache.  They battle so many
fronts, from neglected ferrets to unprotective laws.  Their determination
and commitment is inspiring and awing.

I fear how ferrets in need would suffer without these heroes and their
efforts.  I think of the large ferrets rescues where so many ferrets are
suddenly given the care and attention they need.  I think of the sick,
young ferrets in petstores who are being neglected, I think of the
abandoned ferrets who have been mistreated and abused.  How can people
be so cruel and uncaring that such rescue efforts are needed?

So many unlucky ferrets whose world is suddenly changed by a second
chance.  We can't all do what shelters do, but we can help in their
second chance.  We need to get involved and help on whatever level
we can.  Shelters fight for ferrets on so many levels: education,
legislature, rescue, and of course the act of sheltering.  Even if we
can't actively join the fight, with our efforts we can support the
battle.

I know the requests are continuous, but the needs of these ferrets are
constant!  The ferrets need your support, they need the efforts of these
heroes, and the monetary support of caring individuals.  Somehow the
ferret shelters and rescuers can be there for the ferrets time and time
again.  Can we continue to be there too?

Please as the new year approaches, do what you can on whatever level you
can.  Go to your local shelter and bring useful items (from papertowels
to ferretone), pledge a monthly amount (even $5 adds up - send it when
you do your monthly bills, it will be the smallest one and the one that
makes you feel great!) to send in honor of a resident shelter, send a
single donation when you've had a good month (perhaps when you've skipped
a treat for yourself), enter a raffle, buy your ferret items from a
shelter, send some fleece or homemade bedding.

Please do what you can, shelters are always doing what they can - and
more.

Happy New Year
Risa